Monday, September 21, 2009
mito awareness week is this week!
Many states have 'official' Mitochondrial Disease Awareness weeks - declared as the 3rd week in September to raise awareness for Mitochondrial Diseases.
This event is to spread awareness on Mitochondrial Disease wherever YOU are located. :]
• Every 15 minutes a child is born that will develop mitochondrial disease by age 10.
• It is estimated that of the 4 million children born each year in the United States, up to 4000 develop mitochondrial diseases.
• At least 1 in 200 individuals in the general public have a mitochondrial DNA mutation that may lead to disease.
• There are over 40 identified types of Mitochondrial Diseases and believed to be over 100 variants of mitochondrial diseases, .
• In the United States, more than 50 million adults suffer from diseases in which mitochondrial dysfunction is involved. Mitochondrial dysfunction is found in diseases as diverse as cancer, infertility, diabetes, heart diseases, blindness deafness, kidney disease, liver disease, stroke, migraine, and the toxicity of HIV and other drugs. Mitochondrial dysfunction is also involved in aging and neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson and Alzheimer dementia.
• The World Health Organization (WHO) calculates that neurodegenerative diseases, also associated with mitochondrial dysfunction, will become the world's second leading cause of death by the year 2040.